So #GivingTuesday (GT) is coming … yes, I know it’s 90 degrees in DC (and in many other places!), but holiday shopping, travel, and year-end fundraising seems to start earlier every year, so why not embrace it and get your plan in place now?
Giving Tuesday is a global day of giving that allows your organization the unique opportunity to engage with your donors, supporters and volunteers to raise important funds for your mission. Taking place on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving, Giving Tuesday kicks off the charitable season for many non-profits, political and advocacy organizations. With more than 3,600 charities participating, it’s important for you to consider ways that your organization can stand out and make the most of this giving day. Whether this is your organization’s first time participating or you’re ready to level up, it’s never too early to start thinking about Giving Tuesday plans.
First steps for organizations that haven’t fundraised on Giving Tuesday before:
1. Start backwards: Determine the promotional efforts that will happen prior to Giving Tuesday. If this is the first time your organization is participating, you’ll need to start sharing details prior to Giving Tuesday to let your donors, supporters and volunteers know that they can support your organization this Giving Tuesday.
2. Pump up the surround sound: A successful Giving Tuesday includes coordinated efforts across all digital channels. You want to meet your Giving Tuesday donors where they are, so that could be via email, social media, or your homepage.
3. Set a goal and show impact: Inspire your donors to help you reach an important goal this Giving Tuesday that can have an important impact on your mission. This can help motivate them to choose your organization this Giving Tuesday. It also allows you the opportunity to follow up after Giving Tuesday with how their donation made a difference.
Next steps for organizations that have fundraised successfully on Giving Tuesday and are ready to level up:
1. Double Up the Impact: Need an extra incentive for your donors to support your organization for Giving Tuesday? Share that they can have double the impact! To stay competitive among charities who are also promoting Giving Day, providing a matching gift opportunity can be a stronger motivator for someone to make the choice to give to your organization. You might even see some triple or quadruple opportunities out there!
2. Go Beyond Digital: You’ve pumped up the surround sound already, so it’s time to go beyond digital channels! The reach of your Giving Tuesday efforts can extend to donor’s mailboxes. Try sending a postcard mailer or other direct mail formats to your direct mail audience with a short URL or QR code. You never know who of your direct mail donors might be interested in taking part in this global day of giving, but you have to make sure to ask!
3. Make it Monthly: Giving Day is a great opportunity to build your monthly giving program. These are your most loyal donors that give monthly to help sustain your organization’s programs and services. While you may not see the same revenue totals on the day of, the long-term value you are building can be even stronger.
Make it your own, rally your network of supporters, go out there and raise important funds for your mission. Giving Tuesday is fast approaching, but with these tips, a successful giving day is right around the corner!